Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Truth About the Birds and the Bees #fridayflash

“My Queen,” Bzedward said, lowering the front half of his body in an awkward bow.

“You may rise,” the Queen said, shaking her wings. Bzedward obeyed.

“I am honored that you would consider me for the mating flight.” It was hard for him to think straight this close to the Queen. Her scent filled the small chamber and it took all of his self-control to keep from mounting her where they stood.

“Turn,” the Queen said. Bzedward obeyed. “You are an acceptable specimen. The mating flight will be in one hour. Dismissed.”

“Thank you ma'am.” He bowed again and backed out of the chamber, careful not to turn his back to Her Highness. The next suitor stepped up to take his place.

“My Queen,” Bzedward heard him say before the chamber doors were shut behind him by the worker bees.

Bzedward rushed deeper into the hive to find Bzamy steadily scooping up wax and shaping it into honeycomb.

“I'm in! I'm taking part in the mating flight, at last!” Bzamy stopped scooping and turned to look at him.

“You can't!”

“What are you talking about? Of course I can, it what I'm made for. I'm a drone.” Bzamy stood staring at him for several moments, then scooped up a large mound of wax and angrily slapped in onto the honeycomb.

“You're right. Of course. No reason for you to stick around here. Go on some kamikaze sex mission. See if I care.”

“Bzamy! What's gotten into you?”

Bzamy only kneaded the wax with her tarsi with a little more force than necessary.

“Don't be like this. Come on, you know I can't help what I am.” Bzamy's wings drooped.

“Yeah, I know. I'm happy for you, really. I'm glad you got what you always wanted.” He reached out and caressed her wing with his. At first she kept still under his touch, but after a few moments she relaxed into the contact and rubbed her wing back and forth in response. “I'll miss you, you big jerk.”

“I'll miss you too. I'd better get going or else I'll miss the flight. Wouldn't want to be the last one there.” He flew off back in the direction of the Queen's chamber and she watched him for a moment then got back to work.

Bzedward arrived back at the chamber and waited impatiently for the flight to begin. Several other drones were in the chamber with him, all vibrating with nervous energy. Finally, just when he didn't think he could stand the suspense any more, there was a flurry of movement and suddenly they were all flying out of the hive and into the open air. His senses were immediately overloaded. A brilliant light filled his ommatidia and the scents of heady perfume of blooming flowers dazzled and confused him. Above all that, however, he could smell the Queen. Her scent drew him to her and he saw her beautiful form slowly spinning in mid-air. He rushed to her, mounted her and suddenly his whole being was suffused with joy. He was deep inside his Queen, filling her with his seed. She shuddered in ecstasy and then shook him off. He felt a rip in his groin and the pain made his wings falter. He began to fall to the ground in a tailspin. Ground, sky, ground, sky, over and over. As the sky came into view one last time, he saw the next drone remove his severed penis from the Queen and insert his own.

The soft grass broke his fall. The world still seemed to continue spinning even though he was on the ground. His vision was blurry and he was losing blood fast. He saw a yellow blur and felt the soft brush of wings on his face. Bzamy came into focus and he smiled at her.

“Thank you for coming to see me off,” he said weakly.

“Of course. I love you, you idiot.” Bzamy curled her glossa around his.

“Oh Bzamy,” he sighed and curled his glossa around her's in return. “You've made me so happy. Now that I've done my duty, I can tell you without shame that I love you too.” His head fell back, breaking their kiss. His eyes were glossy and empty. Bzamy cradled his head in her wings as one by one, the bodies of drones fell onto the grass all around them.

5 comments:

John Wiswell said...

You don't make it easy for us, daring us to pronounce "Bzedward" in the first line. By "Bzamy" I figured out what was going on - very cute work, ElleCee.

ellecee said...

Coming up with the names is my least favorite part of writing so I try to have fun with it. Glad you liked it!

Danielle La Paglia said...

I agree with you on the names. I rarely name the characters in my flash fiction. I have to admit, when you stared with Bzedward and the Queen's intoxicating scent, I thought this was going to be a Twilight spoof. :) Nice job ElleCee. Thanks for sharing.

ellecee said...

I may just write a Twilight spoof one of these days :)

Andrew Murphy said...

That was really sweet. For someone that doesn't like to come up with names, I thought what you did with them was pretty clever. I really liked this one.

As for a Twilight spoof, you should totally write a gay vampire/werewolf romance. Seeing how vampires and werewolves traditionally don't get along, it could be a nice "star-crossed lovers" piece to boot. Not to mention two levels of taboo to write about.

Keep up the good work.